Follow-Up: All Work and No Play?

%28Courtesy+Photo%29

Follow-Up: All Work and No Play?

(Courtesy Photo)

(Courtesy Photo)

(Courtesy Photo)

(Courtesy Photo)

Ariel Orr, Junior Editor

A few weeks ago I wrote an editorial explaining why students should have a part time job during high school; However, I recently got my first job and realized that the negatives actually outway the positives.

Teens should not have a job while attending high school.

A teen can’t live up to their full potential in school when they don’t have the proper time to complete their school work. Ever since I started working, I have found myself stressing about when I’ll have time to do my homework and study for upcoming tests. It can be hard when you have a shift from 5 o’clock to 10 o’clock on a school night to find time sit down and do work that you didn’t have time to do during the school day. Yes, we have some time to work on our homework during the school day, during lunch for example, but that is the only time during the day that I get to give my brain a rest; It’s called HOMEwork for a reason.   

Working long hours on a school night can result in drowsiness the next day. Not only do you not complete assignments to the best of your ability, you can’t focus. There have been many days I have found myself having to fight my eyes from closing during a lecture; Not because the lecture is boring but because I didn’t get enough sleep the night before. Yes, I may not have been at work past 10:30, but I had to go home, eat, shower and lets not forget….do my homework. There are only so many hours in a day.

Having a job takes up all the free time that was once spent on extracurricular activities. High school is a time to be involved in clubs, organizations and to have fun. This isn’t really an option when you’re working 5 o’clock to 10 o’clock every night of the week. For example, I have had to miss multiple school functions, such as a dance, because I can’t get off work. I can’t get these missed experiences back; Once they are gone, they are gone forever.  

It’s good for students to experience what’s it’s like out in the real world. However; this can be done with a part time job on the weekends or during the summer months.

Committing to a part time job during the school year is too much for a high school student to handle while performing to the best of their ability at school.