Dances? I’d Rather Stay Home!

%28mmdjschicago.com%29

Dances? I’d Rather Stay Home!

(mmdjschicago.com)

(mmdjschicago.com)

(mmdjschicago.com)

(mmdjschicago.com)

Katrina Christine, Staff Reporter

Every year girls and guys alike look forward to what they deem “the most important event of their high school career,” School dances. There are different dances throughout the year ranging from homecoming, prom, to formal.

Everyone awaits the moment when their significant other asks them to the dance. People stress and spend countless hours trying to find the perfect way to ask. Posters,flowers, balloons, candy, pictures, a large scene, and all for a few hours in a sweat filled gym. You also have to worry about being rejected. What if you ask someone in the middle of school and they flat out say no. Then you have to face the humiliation for the rest of the day and trying to keep up with the ugly poster you made.  

Then you have to go through the elaborate preparations to get ready. Nails, 40 dollars. Dress, ranging from 40-200 dollars. Shoes, 15-100 dollars. Hair and makeup, depending on the quality, 40-60 dollars. Also, if your date doesn’t pay for the dinner and transportation, then you have to take the liberty to pay for that also. One word: extensive.

The once it’s over what do you get from it. A broken heart? Empty wallet? A few hours of “fun” that you’re going to forget next week? This is why school dances are unimportant and a significant waste of time.