Arbab Ahmed: From Humble Beginnings

Kate McLeod, Copy Editor

8,542 miles from Whitehouse, Texas to Dhaka, Bangladesh. 23 hours on plane from DFW airport to Shahjalal Airport. 12 AP classes over the course of 4 years. Countless hours studying and preparing for rigorous tests. There can be only one valedictorian for the class of 2017 at Whitehouse High School.

Senior Arbab Ahmed has worked tirelessly for the past four years to get the chance to say that he is the valedictorian of his high school class, a feat that he has accomplished. However, while several of his peers know that he is the valedictorian, many do not know that he moved here from Dhaka, Bangladesh.

“I moved to America from Bangladesh when I was 6,” Ahmed said. “I was really excited. The first day in America seemed magical because it was so different from Bangladesh.”

After moving from Bangladesh, Ahmed was determined to make the most of the opportunities that were provided in America. During high school, he became a member of the soccer team, drumline, Business Professionals of America, Modern Language Club, and is the Vice President of HOSA and NHS, as well as an AP Scholar.

“Teaching Arbab was awesome,” English teacher Mrs. Jill Nelson said. “Arbab challenged me to be the best teacher I could be. I knew everyday he was challenging himself to be the best student he could be.”

Although school is a top priority for Ahmed, it is also very important to him to have fun and make time for friends. Throughout high school, Ahmed was able to balance his school work and social life.

“Arbab is a close friend who has always been there for me,” senior Brandon Glover said. “He has helped me through hard times and is one of the hardest working people I know.”

After high school, Ahmed plans to attend a four-year university and then go to medical school. He hopes to become an orthopedic surgeon when he is older.

“I challenged myself to take harder classes so I could push my own abilities,” Ahmed said. “I feel great seeing that I came this far and that if I put my mind to something, I can accomplish it.”