Meredith Campbell: A Future Tennis Star

Meredith Campbell: A Future Tennis Star

Campbell (middle) with her teammates

Campbell (middle) with her teammates

Photo by Whitney Ethridge

Campbell (middle) with her teammates

Photo by Whitney Ethridge

Photo by Whitney Ethridge

Campbell (middle) with her teammates

Dylan Shakelford, Staff Reporter

Tennis is one of the most under-appreciated sports in the world. Most people in the school probably didn’t even know Whitehouse had a tennis team, but its size has increased dramatically over the past two years. People don’t realize how fun it can be when playing with the right people. Sophomore Meredith Campbell joined the team this year and did not regret it.

Campbell played tennis in Jr. High and really enjoyed it, but when she made it to high school she had to choose between cheer and tennis. She was also involved in band, student council, and HOSA, so she would not have time to do two sports.

“It was a very tough decision,” Campbell said, “I loved doing both, but I worked my whole life to be a cheerleader and only played tennis for two years.”

In spring of last year, the tryouts for Varsity and JV cheer were taking place, which Campbell took place in. Unfortunately, she was not able to make the team, but because of it, she was able to rejoin the tennis team.

“I was upset at first, but once I realized that I would be able to play with all of my friends again, my mood changed quickly,” Campbell said. “Tennis gives me the opportunity to spend more time with my friends, and I am very happy with my decision.”

Along with tennis, Campbell is also able to keep up good grades and participate in her previously stated activities, which is very impressive considering all of the time and effort it takes to do a single extra-curricular activity.

“It gets difficult at times, but I just keep working hard to balance it all out, it pays off eventually,” Campbell said.