The (Temporary) Power Hour Cancellation

The (Temporary) Power Hour Cancellation

A group of students working together on math homework during the Power Hour.

Photo by Paige Dyer

Photo by Paige Dyer

Photo by Paige Dyer

Will Clark, Editor-in-Chief

Editor’s Note: The temporary cancellation of the Power Hour was a decision filled with controversy. Please keep all comments civil and remember that this is the opinion of the writer, and not of the staff, advisor, administration, or the school board. For all information on the Power Hour including videos, clubs, and tutorial schedules, click this link.

During the month of January, four or five fights broke out during the Power Hour lunch. Due to the hostile nature that these fights created, our principal Dr. Jonathan Campbell announced that the Power Hour would be suspended until further notice. The next day, he told the student body that it would return on Wednesday, February 1 as long as expectations were being upheld and met.

However, in my personal opinion, suddenly canceling Power Hour (although temporary) was not entirely necessary.

Power Hour is a privilege, and this has been made very apparent by both teachers and administration. They have said that it can be taken away numerous times. I’m not disputing their ability to do that. However, I would think that if two students were in a fight, that, since they were the ones actually breaking the rules (and each other), they should be the ones punished for it, and them alone. Not the student who is using the privilege they’ve been given to raise their Chemistry grade or the group of gamers who may only share a bond in a certain club. I get that when people try to watch a fight that it creates this sort-of mob mentality. But once again, I’ll think practically. If I’m sitting in the cafeteria at lunch and all of a sudden a ruckus is raised nearby, I’m not going to ignore it. Chances are that most people would try to watch what was going on. This isn’t normally an issue.

A bigger problem that was caused was the sudden nature of the temporary cancellation. I knew quite a few students that, because of the sudden flux in everyone’s schedules, could not attend tutorials because they had to meet after school, when many practices, extracurriculars, or even jobs had to be attended. Students that had to make up a test they were absent for could not do anything except wait until the Power Hour was returned to them.

In short, I fully respect the WHS administration for keeping their promise that Power Hour is indeed a privilege. However, I believe that in the future, punishing those who break the rules will be more beneficial than blaming the student body as a whole, taking away the help it currently provides to everyone’s grades and social skills.