Student Council: Making the World a ‘Greener’ Place

Photo by Courtesy Photo

Photo by Courtesy Photo

Photo by Courtesy Photo

Kate McLeod, Copy Editor

Student Council is promoting recycling by hosting a Super Bowl competition. Students can bring recyclable goods to the cafeteria and place them in the trash can for the team that they predict will win the Super Bowl. Today is the final day to participate in the competition.

“Our goal is to make our community greener by promoting recycling and motivating other students to do things around our community to help,” Student Council president Brooke Godwin said. “We are helping not only our school, but our community.”

The Student Council officers have teamed up with Keep Whitehouse Beautiful to spread awareness of safe ways to help the environment. They plan on making recycling a permanent installment at WHS starting next year.

“We are trying to promote recycling and make Whitehouse an overall ‘greener’ school,” Student Council secretary Hannah McGinnis said. “We plan on ramping it up next year, but this is a good start.”

The idea for the Super Bowl competition came from another school during a summer leadership conference. The Student Council officers have been planning the competition since August.

“A few of our officers heard about the competition from another school at a workshop that they attended,” Student Council historian Becca Gray said. “We thought that a majority of the high school enjoys football so we might as well incorporate sports in the Energy and Environment committee.”

The Super Bowl competition is the yearly project for Student Council’s Energy and Environment committee, led by Student Council vice president Jarret Carnes. This year, Student Council has divided members into four committees, each dedicated to different aspects of community service and involvement.

“I’m kind of an environmentalist, so going into this year I was really passionate about the work the committee would be doing,” Carnes said. “I really love E&E; there are so many things we can do to make the community/school more environmentally friendly.”

The committees are how Student Council gains recognition with the Texas Association of Student Councils. They use a point system for each of their projects, which gains awards and honors for WHS.

“There are four committees: DASH (Drug, Alcohol, Safety, and Health), Energy and Environment, Pride and Patriotism, and Community,” McGinnis said. “DASH heads up projects promoting safe practices, such as informing students about the dangers of drugs and alcohol, while Energy and Environment is all about making the world a ‘greener’ place. Pride and Patriotism promotes pride in our school and Community is about giving back to our community, or in our case, Whitehouse.”

Creating committees are just one way that Student Council officers have gotten students involved in the community throughout this past year. They work tirelessly after school, on weekends, and throughout the day to make Student Council the best it has ever been.

“I have loved every second of being Executive VP, from painting trash cans for Super Bowl Recycling all weekend to stuffing them into my car (I literally rode to school with one in my passenger seat),” Carnes said. “Student Council has taught me so much about how to effectively lead a council and be a leader. It has opened so many doors for me and I wouldn’t trade it for anything!”