The Teenage Book Bag

The Teenage Book Bag

Senior Madison Kirkpatrick is enthralled in her novel

Photo by Will Clark

Photo by Will Clark

Photo by Will Clark

Katrina Christine, Staff Reporter

Some high school students dread the moment when their English teacher says they’re going to spend the next few weeks reading a book. Some might question why would you spend your time reading something you have absolutely no interest in? They may also question why to read at all if you aren’t going to learn anything from it.  

On the other hand, some students are surprisingly overjoyed that they get to spend three weeks reading a book. Or you have those select few who have already read the assigned book just for fun.

Why is there such a divide between students and teenagers today over book reading? They either hate it or obsess over it too much entirely. For some, it’s simply weird to just read something for fun, and for others, it’s weird if you don’t. Why can’t it just be normal to have the want to read?

Books contain knowledge and knowledge contains a pathway, a pathway to do anything you could ever dream of. Books can contain things from learning experiences, cultures, sword fighting, dragon riding, ship sailing, and many great adventures. Some much different than the adventures of life that the readers may be facing.

The hindering of knowledge, reading itself, honestly is only affecting the individual. Reading can give an escape for the challenges of this world. On the other hand, they can make you realize that your challenges cannot even amount to the ones in the books.