Mr. Denny Whitley: The Sensei of Sound

Mr. Denny Whitley: The Sensei of Sound

Photo by Timia Cobb

Photo by Timia Cobb

Photo by Timia Cobb

Timia Cobb, Staff Reporter

Band director Mr. Denny Whitley has been with Whitehouse ISD for more than 28 years and it has been announced as a Texas bandmaster and put into the band director’s hall of fame. Whitley has put a lot of work into the Whitehouse high school, middle school, and Jr. High bands. His students and fellow band directors appreciate him a lot for all he has done. Junior Courtney Eeds, who has known him for her whole life, sees Whitley as a true leader who has helped the band greatly.

“He was band director for my aunts, my sister, my dad and now me. So I’ve seen and heard all of these stories about how great he is,” Eeds said. “He has helped me with being a majorette during football season, helping run drills and helping all the majorettes. He’s pretty great, and he’s also helped me with the saxophone and improve my solos or anything I need help with.”

Whitley has the motto “make your best better,” which many of the band members have heard too many times to count. Even his colleague Daniel Southerland knows the motto well. Southerland has been working with Whitley for 8 years and see’s him as a true encouraging leader.

“Whitley has helped the band a lot, building the program up and encouraging the students. He has respect from the students and makes them realize he’s wanting the best from and for them,” Southerland said. “Even if he has to be stern or strict with the students, they know it’s to make them be better. My overall opinion of Whitley is he’s a great band director and somewhat of a living legend.”

The only person who can completely describe Whitley’s methods and all he has done is he himself.

“I started the motto “make your best better” when a student played her music to me and she said that was her best, well I said your best isn’t very good and we gotta make that better. Whitley said. “I see my students becoming better every day and that’s my goal but they have to want to be better.”

Whitley has received the highest honor a band director can receive, and he’s thankful to be called a true band master.