Going the Distance

Editor's views on exceeding expectations

Going the Distance

Butler with one of her many accomplishments, the Paw Prints newspaper.

Photo by Jessica Gargus

Photo by Jessica Gargus

Photo by Jessica Gargus

Haley Butler, Senior Editor

Too many of my peers are the product of their unstable upbringings. Children naturally look up to and watch their parents as they become older and follow in their footsteps; however, that is not the case when it comes to my life. My family, previous and present teachers, and friends have shaped me as the person I have come to be today.

When I was a child, my family was not considered normal to society. Neither my mother nor father attended college or graduated from high school. There are many firsts that are made since the moment a person is born, but when you are the first in the family to graduate from high school and be able to attend college in the coming up fall, there are huge steps to be taken. It is a privilege to be able to have an opportunity to travel down paths on to bigger and greater things.

The better your opportunities are, the better quality your life is. There is no other way to put it. Growing up, I felt even in the darkest of times that I have a purpose. After observing what drugs and alcohol can do to a human being and after watching my parents struggle to get a job and having to stretch money to be able to afford wants and needs I hope to further my future in ways my parents couldn’t.

I pledge not to get involved with things that unnecessarily ruined the future for both parents. I have created goals over the past years to go to college and then on to law school after diligently completing my years of academic work and graduating high school. I did not have a childhood that was considered normal, and I am not following in my parent’s footsteps. Instead, I am creating my own path and working on becoming the person I want to be when I grow up.

I have been fortunate enough to have had aunts, extended family, and grandparents raise me as their own and take the time to teach me about commitments to family, work ethic and valuing my potential. I look forward to carrying on my own legacy into the future by going to the college of my choice, hoping my light shines brightly.