Zoe Nackos and Gillian Terrell: Friends to the End

Nackos (left) and Terrell (right) have been best friends since the sixth grade

Photo by Nic McIntyre

Photo by Nic McIntyre

Photo by Nic McIntyre

Nic McIntyre, Staff Reporter

High school. These words hold a different meaning to everybody. While these meanings can range greatly, many people will agree that high school has changed them in some way. Seniors Zoe Nackos and Gillian Terrell can atone to that.

“As a freshman, I focused on things that didn’t matter in the long run and so I didn’t have as much fun and was pretty unhappy,” Nackos said.

Both Nackos and Terrell, who have been friends since the sixth grade, have similar feelings on how they have matured and blossomed as people.

“From freshman year to now, being a senior, I feel like I have changed by becoming just more mature and confident person,” Terrell said. “I have learned to not care what other people think of me as much because I have realized that everyone else is too focused on themselves to really care what I do. I have changed not only by improving my motivation and work ethic in school, but also by surrounding myself with people that make me happy and trying to be that person for others!”

Both students have changed in different ways other than maturity, such as new friends, classes, and the way they look.

“I also changed appearance wise, as most people have,” Nackos said. “I no longer have braces or wear glasses like I did freshman year. I’m also a happier person in general than I was as a freshman.”

Recalling all of their past experiences, Nackos and Terrell look back on their freshman selves with nostalgia.   

“Freshman me wasn’t that bad, I don’t really feel like she knew who she was as a person though, and tried to be someone she wasn’t,” Nackos said. “Although I am proud of her for doing the best with what she did know. As a senior, I know who I am and what I want to do with my life, while as a freshman I had no idea.”

However, both seniors agree that high school has been an experience that they will never forget. It, at the very least, has made them who they are.

“I think just going through life, especially in high school, I have experienced a lot of new things,” Terrell said. “These experiences have impacted the way I am.”