TEA Creates New Accountability System

TEA Creates New Accountability System

Taken by publicbroadcasting.net

Taken by publicbroadcasting.net

Taken by publicbroadcasting.net

Will Clark, Editor-in-Chief

The Texas Education Agency has recently released a new way of grading Texas public schools and districts based on four different areas. This rating scale uses a traditional letter grading system ranging from an A to an F. The ratings will be issued out for the first time in August 2018.

Category I is based on how students score on the STAAR test in the spring. Whitehouse High School received a B for this, matching most schools in WISD (except Cain Elementary, who scored an A.

Category II is based on how students’ STARR results improve over the years that they took the exam. WHS scored a C for this. Both Cain and Stanton-Smith Elementary Schools scored an A, while Holloway Sixth Grade School scored an F.

Category III grades schools and districts on how well they are closing the achievement gaps between higher-income and lower-income students. WHS earned a D in this category along with Holloway and Brown, while Cain scores an A once again.

Category IV assesses how schools are preparing students for college or a career in the future. This category looks only at drop-out rates and people who are absent. WHS scored a D, below everyone else in the district.

Whitehouse High School’s overall rating is a D, while WISD’s overall rating is a B.

When reaching to Superintendent Dr. Chris Moran for comment, he had this to say:

The position of Whitehouse ISD is that we oppose the new system and feel strongly that the good people of our district know far better what our students need and deserve than the folks in Austin. The Board of Trustees recently passed a resolution opposing the A – F system stating it is an unfair assessment of the many great efforts being made in Whitehouse ISD. Nearly half of the more than 1,100 school districts in the state of Texas have also passed resolutions opposing the system. We will be working closely with our legislators to help develop a final plan for implementation of the new accountability system.”