13 Reasons to Get Real

Reasons why we need to talk

13 Reasons to Get Real

Katrina Christine, Staff Reporter

Editor’s Note: Since the nature of this show and editorial involves suicide, I’ll include this here.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255 or go to www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org. Suicide is never the answer, folks.

In 2007, Jay Asher released a novel, Thirteen Reasons Why, which in July of 2011 became a New York Times best seller. The story is about a student named Clay Jensen who comes home from school one day to find a box of cassette tapes on his porch. The tapes are recorded by his crush, and classmate, which explains thirteen reasons why she committed suicide. Netflix has recently filmed a series based on the book, and has become popular among teenagers across the US. The show brings to light problems faced by many adolescents like depression, suicide, and challenges faced daily in high school. Problems that we as a school and student body should already be concerned and talking about.

Why is it that we only talk about the serious matters many of us face only when they’re on a popular show?

Depression is the most common mental disorder in teenagers and young adults. 10 out of 15 teenagers have had symptoms of depression sometime during high school. Look around you. Many people you see every day at school suffer from something made popular in movies and TV shows. Depression is something real, and very common. So if a fictional character what it takes to get people to talk, it tells a lot about what kind of people we are. We should be talking about talking about suicide and the effects of depression, even if it is embarrassing or hard.

After watching the show, many people comment on the situations Hannah Baker faced while in high school. How awful the people treated her and all the situations she faced. Mouths drop and they say how glad they are people don’t act like that here. But don’t they? The constant judging of appearances, the gossip, the name calling, the overall hate people pass around like roses on valentine’s day. It is no different here than it is at the fictional school created by Jay Asher. So why do we act the way we do? We can obviously see the potential outcomes if we keep on, and the effects it has on people. So let’s make a change. Let’s talk about depression. Let’s talk about the challenges you face daily. Also, make it a point to talk to others about what they may be facing, you’d be surprised how many people feel the same way you do. And for heaven’s sake, top the hatred. You’re achieving nothing besides letting people know that you feel the need to put people down to feel better about yourself. Let Thirteen Reasons Why be a turning point from here on out to change the way we interact with people, and how people react to you.