Follow-Up: Whitehouse v. Chapel Hill

Follow-Up: Whitehouse v. Chapel Hill

Whitehouse and Chapel Hill varsity football members face off in the first quarter of the game.

Taken by Whitney Ethridge

Taken by Whitney Ethridge

Taken by Whitney Ethridge

Nick Slavinsky, Sports Writer

Under the bright lights of the 10,000+ seat Rose Stadium, Whitehouse renewed the annual Lake Tyler Rivalry football game against the Chapel Hill Bulldogs. The Wildcats went into Thursday’s game looking to win their sixth straight win against Chapel Hill. After some Twitter trash talk from each school’s student section, everyone was ready for the game.

Whitehouse started slow giving up a touchdown to Chapel Hill just a minute and a half into the first quarter, followed by a Chapel Hill interception on the Wildcat’s first offensive possession. Whitehouse started its early comeback with a Clayton Cook touchdown that tied the game up 7-7 late in the first quarter. After two more touchdowns and an interception, Whitehouse went into halftime with a 21-7 lead over the Bulldogs.

With no scores in the third quarter and a 14 point lead by the Wildcats, Chapel Hill fans began to head for the exits at the start of the fourth quarter. Whitehouse scored their final touchdown of the game in the fourth quarter, but Chapel Hill answered with a 98 yard touchdown with just 3:22 left in the game. The Wildcats won the game with a final score of 28-14 and improved to two wins and no losses on the season.