Providing a Helping Hand

Student Council Hosts Supplies Drive To Help Houston Schools

Providing a Helping Hand

Sign Up Sheet for Donations Available in Shaw's Classroom.

Taken by Kate McLeod

Taken by Kate McLeod

Taken by Kate McLeod

Kate McLeod, Editor-in-Chief

Student Council is collecting school supplies to donate to Houston schools affected by Hurricane Harvey. Donation buckets are located in Ms. Shaw’s, Mrs. Bockover, and Mrs. Mann’s classrooms. The last day to donate is Sept. 25.

“The more supplies we can get, the better,” Student Council sponsor and ASL teacher Ms. Randi Shaw said. “Several schools have been impacted by Hurricane Harvey and are currently suffering. It is important to help these places in times of need.”

Basic school supplies, such as blue and red spirals, notebook paper, and post-it notes are needed. A QR code will be posted around the school to inform students of items that should be given.

“We hope to promote unity in showing that we will always have each other’s backs,” Student Council President Jarret Carnes said. “We will always support another school in need. That’s what makes Stuco rewarding.”

The idea for this project started when Chemistry teacher Mrs. Somer Bockover told Shaw about a friend she has who teaches at Cleveland High School, and how all of their school supplies have been destroyed. Shaw then told the Student Council officers to organize a supplies drive to help rebuild the school’s inventory.

“Ms. Shaw presented this project to me because I’m the community chairperson, and it’s my responsibility to be in charge of these things,” Student Council officer Lacey Duphorne said. “We had a student council meeting and I asked for people to help support Cleveland HS and to promote the event throughout our school. It’s important to show that we are a student body that cares.”

After the donation period ends, Bockover will give the supplies to her friend at Cleveland High School, who will then distribute them as needed. Student Council’s goal is to raise enough items to donate to several Houston area high schools.

“The primary school we are donating to is Cleveland High School, but if we raise enough supplies we can donate to even more places,” Shaw said. “We want to help as many schools as we possibly can. These places are hurting, and we need to assist them in any way possible.”