The Paw Prints Online

Theatre Company to Present Shakespearean Play

Seniors Tyse Burckhartt, Gordon Holmes, and Skylar Jones act in a scene of the play.

Taken by Kate McLeod

Taken by Kate McLeod

Elizabeth Campbell, Staff Writer

The Wildcat Theatre Company will be presenting A Midsummer Night’s Dream on tomorrow at 7:00 p.m., and Saturday at 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. The play will be performed in the WHS Auditorium, and the admittance cost is $5.00.

“[I will always remember] the feeling when I get to take a moment to step back and watch all of the cast,” senior Abby Clarida said, “I think, ‘dang I’m lucky, these people are pretty stinking cool.’”

The show is two hours long with a 15 minute intermission. The play is a Shakespearean comedy that weaves several stories of groups of characters, including lovers torn apart by their parents, fairies wreaking havoc on relationships with the use of love potions, and an acting troupe of peasants struggling to produce a professional play in time for a duke’s wedding.

“I will remember how the play suits us and the actors to the characters,” senior Tanner Garza said. “I think it’s very cool how we can match our personalities to the characters themselves.”

Last year, the incoming seniors decided that they wanted to make this show a part of their final season with the Wildcat Theatre Company. After seeing Tyler Junior College’s production of the play, many students fell in love with the Shakespearean classic.

“The way they interpreted Shakespeare, it captivated you,” senior Tyse Burkhart said. “It was understandable, you fell in love with the story. It was awesome.”

To get the show performance-ready, rehearsals began the first week of school, and have continued for five to six weeks, three days after school and some Saturdays. Throughout the rehearsal process, the cast bonds and grows as actors while piecing the play together.

“Every new show is a new journey,” theatre teacher Mrs. Shirley Grote said. “When actors start with a read through, just sitting in the room, with scripts, it’s totally thrilling to see the finished product. It takes about six to eight weeks for each new show, each new journey, and they are all different, paths everywhere to follow.”

Upon the play’s opening, the cast hopes to bring the 500-year-old play justice by performing it to the best of their ability. They will be sharing their love of theatre with the Whitehouse community every second they are on the stage.

“I hope they take away smiles,” junior Chris Knight said. “It’s a comedy and I hope they all laugh and we put some smiles on some faces.”