The Paw Prints Online

Confessions of Teenage Drivers

Senior Shayna Ballin poses next to her car.

Taken by Nic McIntyre

Taken by Nic McIntyre

Nic McIntyre, Senior Editor

Teenagers; known for being emotional, rash, and usually immature, have unique opportunity to show their ability to be good, well behaved members of society when they get behind the wheel of a car. They make sure to follow every law and never get distracted… or not. Let’s get real, we all make mistakes and make a turn too sharp, or accidently run that red light. Fortunately, a great deal of funny comes out of some of these mistakes, so some WHS students have decided to step forward and reveal a few not so surprising moments behind the wheel.

“One day I was driving with my aunt in the car and I accidently turned a corner too sharp and it scared my aunt so she screamed,” senior Sami Hauver said. “Her screaming scared me so I jumped then I started laughing but I had just taken a drink so I was trying not to spit it everywhere and it ended up coming out my nose, meanwhile, I was swerving all over the road. Yeah, it was bad.”

As funny as firing softdrink out your nose is, not all the memorable moments while driving are comedic. Sometimes, it can cause sadness to hit you like a truck.

“One time me and my friend Katrina were driving home from the dollar store and we saw a dead puppy in the road,” senior Shayna Ballin said. “We both started freaking out and almost started crying. Afterwards Katrina kept yelling she wanted to go back and get the puppy off the road. It was really sad.”

Despite some of the more heart-wrenching moments sticking with a person, thankfully we seem to get more happy, funny memories from our time behind the wheel than not.

“This one time I was driving while eating a hot pocket, and I had not let it cool for the recommended time. ( I know I know I’m such a rule breaker.)” senior Katrina Kristine said. “Anyways, so I’m driving right? And I’m just grubbing, minding my own business then a dude beside me starts looking at me funny. So while I’m looking at him I don’t see the light turn red. When I finally turned around I slammed on the breaks, my hot pocket ALMOST went flying. But by the goodness of the Lord it didn’t, but the insides came out the bottom and went all over me.”

Unfortunately, not all students are willing to tell their stories due to a fear of their parents wrath. Something most students can understand.

“One time it was wet outside in my neighborhood, because it was just started to rain,” an anonymous student said. “I didn’t pull out fast but I pulled out of the road and I slid out into oncoming traffic then back into the other lane before going into a ditch. I knew my mom was coming up right behind me so I gunned it out of there.”