Following Favour

Senior Describes Her Experience Moving To Texas From Nigeria

Following Favour

Taken by Timia Cobb

Taken by Timia Cobb

Taken by Timia Cobb

Timia Cobb, Staff Writer

Moving to a different school can be hard, but moving to a different country can be even harder. You’ll have to meet new people, get use to a new home, and try to get used to the country differences. Senior Favour Thomas has had to do all of these things. Thomas moved from Nigeria to Texas in the fall of 2014 and still finds herself settling into being in a new place that’s oceans away from her home.

Thomas first attended Brook Hill High School when she came to Texas, and she came to Whitehouse at the beginning of her Junior year. She wasn’t really sure what to expect after hearing rumors and stereotypes about public schools .

“When I came to Whitehouse my first impression was mostly good,” Thomas said. “I heard the academics were really good, the teachers were really nice and taught you what you needed to learn. I honestly was expecting public school to be different because of the stuff you hear about them, but it turned out it’s a nice atmosphere to learn in.”

The atmosphere of school was not the only thing hard to get used to, but the change in classes and the academic levels were all new to Thomas. Nigeria’s school system was very different to America’s, which was hard at first for Thomas to get used to.

“School in Nigeria is a little more difficult because we we’re colonized by the British,” Thomas said. “We have to learn British education combined with some American education to form what we learn, so we end up having 16 subjects a year and the scheduling is very different. It’s fun but also kind of hard to get high averages in your class because of the many subjects and scores we had.”

Having to get use to the different school system and other changes in her life, Thomas really needed a true friend. Senior Evangeline Davies was that friend.

“We became friends back in 2014 through family friends,” Davies said. “When I first meet Favour, I wondered if she even spoke English because my parents didn’t speak English when they first came from Sierra Leone. Her English was just a little choppy, but she was not shy at all and was very outgoing. She left a very good impression on me.”

Through it all Thomas has made the best of coming to a whole new country. She stays on top of her grades, has accomplished many academic achievements, and also has made good friends. Despite this, Thomas cannot replace the love she still has for her home.

“I do miss Nigeria, I haven’t been there since I’ve moved here in 2014, I would go back,” Thomas said. “I hope at the end of my school career I can be a person that learned many things in the states and can take it back to Nigeria and help the people there.”