The Paw Prints Online

Applications To Be Due For Summer Leadership Conference

Elizabeth Freeman, Staff Writer

Each spring, sophomores have the opportunity to develop leadership skills in the Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership program (HOBY). This conference is located at UNT (University of North Texas) during June 2018, and the applications for sophomores are due to the Counseling Office on Thursday, October 19, 2017 during Power Hour.

“I believe it is important for others to apply because HOBY is such an impactful experience,” former HOBY recipient junior Regan Zivney said. “It forces you to dig down deep and think about why it is important to be a leader and how you can be an outstanding leader yourself.”

Only one sophomore will be chosen to represent WHS at the HOBY conference. Those who would like to attend must meet certain requirements in order to be considered by the counselors and fill out an application.

The criteria is based upon a student’s leadership ability, sensitivity to others, and desire to communicate their knowledge to their peers,” counselor Mrs. Theresa Gray said. “The application consists of a list of the student’s current classes, activities the student is involved in, and an essay.”

The HOBY conference can be useful on college applications, and aid in the student’s leadership skills throughout the rest of highschool. It is filled with workshops, service projects, and team building.

“I would have to say my favorite part of the camp was when our group was able to travel over to a local farm and participate in an act of service by planting vegetable gardens for those in need,” Zivney said. “It was amazing to actually put our leadership skills into action.”

Seminars, as well as activities, at HOBY focus on specific aspects of being a leader and to learn how to apply it to everyday life. During the conference, the chosen sophomore will discover how to pertain leadership from three perspectives, such as individual, group, and society.

“Once all applications are received a committee will review them and select one student to represent WHS at the HOBY Leadership Seminar this summer,” Gray said. “An alternate will also be selected. Thus, applicants need to be sure they are able to attend the complete weekend leadership seminar this summer.”

The HOBY conference gives youth an opportunity to learn more about themselves through hands on activities and seminars. Friendships are made, lessons are taught, and memories are long-lasting.

“I would definitely encourage anyone who is a sophomore to apply for HOBY,” senior Joanna Moran said. “It will get you out of your comfort zone and teach you a lot about yourself. HOBY has made me approach being a leader at WHS in a completely new way, and I am so grateful that I was able to attend.”