The Paw Prints Online

Football Frenzy: Follow-Up

Taken by Whitney Ethridge

Taken by Whitney Ethridge

Nick Slavinsky and Kendhal Fry

After a nine-and-a-half month wait, football season is back and the Wildcats are hoping to return to the playoffs this year. With many starters returning on a defense that ranked at the top of the district last season, Whitehouse should be able to keep teams from scoring this year.

Whitehouse started the 2017 season on September 1st with an away game against the Hallsville Bobcats. The Wildcats fell behind 0-3 at the start of the game, but with 3:13 left in the first half senior running back Clayton Cook scored the first touchdown of the year to give Whitehouse a 7-3 lead going into halftime. Whitehouse extended the lead to 27-3 before Hallsville scored their first touchdown of the game late in the fourth quarter. The Wildcat defense looked strong as they picked up their first win of the year over the Bobcats.

Less than a week later Whitehouse would face Chapel Hill in the annual Lake Tyler Rivalry. Coming into this season, The Wildcats had won five straight matchups against Chapel Hill, and this year would not be different. Although Chapel Hill scored a touchdown less than two minutes into the game, they did not score again until the fourth quarter. Whitehouse went into halftime with a 21-7 lead and would carry that lead to a 28-14 victory and their sixth win in a row over Chapel Hill.

The Wildcats went into week three undefeated, but that win streak would not last after a tough game against 2016 4A state champion Carthage Bulldogs. Carthage came into Whitehouse on Friday September 15 ranked number one in the state, lead by future Texas Longhorn running back Keaontay Ingram. Whitehouse was able to keep the game close going into halftime only trailing by seven points, but Carthage took control in the second half coming away with a 42-20 win.

After an exciting week of celebrations, a pep rally, and the crowning of a new king and queen, Whitehouse faced off against Sulphur Springs for the homecoming football game. Whitehouse took a fourteen point lead into halftime after the Wildcat’s strong defense held Sulphur Springs to zero points. Whitehouse finished the game with a 28-6 win to improve to three wins and only one loss on the season. Senior quarterback Jake Clemons threw four touchdown passes in the win over Sulphur Springs, all of them to junior wide receiver and Texas Tech commit Cameron Cantrell.

Whitehouse starts district games on Friday October 13th with a home game against the Ennis Lions. Ennis was the preseason favorite to win district, but they lost their first three non-district games. Although the Lions started the season winless, they got their first victory of the season with a score of 82-7 over Kimball. Like Ennis, Nacogdoches started the season 0-3 before getting a win against Hallsville. Corsicana and Lindale both started the season with two wins and two losses, while Jacksonville has won three of their first four games.

Four teams from district 17-5A will make the playoffs this year, and Whitehouse has a great chance to be in that group of four. The Wildcats were picked to finish second in the district this year, but if they can get a win against Ennis there is a good chance they will come in first in the district standings at the end of the season. Hopefully, Whitehouse will improve on last season and go a few rounds deep into playoffs.