The Paw Prints Online

WHS to Host Twirling, Dancing, Color Guard Competition

Courtney Eeds, Guest Writer

There will be a twirling, dancing and color guard competition at the high school this Saturday at 9 a.m. as a fundraiser to help the Whitehouse Band Boosters.

“This competition has developed into a broad spectrum event that is multi disciplines in terms of its participating art forms,” head band director Tom Mensch said. “It will expose participants and spectators into three worlds of the competitive visual, moving arts.”

Since Jan., band directors, twirling and dance coaches have been preparing for this event. With the help of Whitehouse Band Boosters, Silver Star Studios Director Reinetta Gingles, and Twirl Productions Unlimited, this year’s competition is expected to be the biggest one yet.

“This is the largest competition we have had, and we are excited to bring this opportunity to the East Texas area,” Gingles said. “It truly gives all of the twirling, dance and color guard participants an opportunity to shine.”

There will be over 200 soloists, 50 group teams, and 33 small ensembles present this Saturday. This includes both duets or trios.

“I am excited to compete and be a part of a sport I love,” sophomore Morgan Robertson said. “Twirling isn’t just something you can wing. It requires total focus and dedication. You have to practice to improve yourself, not to one-up others.”

The competition is a huge fundraiser that is meant to provide financial support and volunteer assistance to meet the needs of the Whitehouse band program.

“Because of the abundance of talented Whitehouse twirlers who actively twirl on competitive twirling lines year around, we felt like it would be appropriate to host a twirling competition here at the high school,” District Wide Teacher of Students with Visual Impairments Lannette Burlingame said. “While twirling may not be as active in some areas of our state, twirling is most definitely alive and well in East Texas.”

Whitehouse ISD has a rich history of twirling dating back to the 1950’s. This year’s competition marks the fourth annual event and it continues to grow each year.

“I go to about five competitions a year, and the Whitehouse competition is the best one I go to,” junior Kellie Jones said. “These competitions have helped me make more friends I never thought I would make and I love that it keeps me active.”

Contests such as these help to improve competitors’ skills in their chosen events. Talents acquired through these competitions carry on through the competitors’ lives.

“Twirling has transformed me into a better performer and person, not to mention I’ve worked so hard too,” senior Elizabeth Bridges said. “I’ve been twirling since I was 12. Now, I am a Stephen F. Austin State University twirler.”

Along with twirlers, dancers, and color guard competitors, there will also be vendors coming out to the competition to sell their products. A few of the participating vendors and products available for purchase include, Mary Kay, LulaRoe, Lauren Ferrell Designs Jewelry, Rodan & Fields Skincare, Scentsy, and many more.

“This competition brings several different squads representing multiple school districts to the community,” Mensch said. “It grants great exposure to just how great Whitehouse ISD truly is.”