New Year, New Goals

A Preview of the Year for Whitehouse High Organizations

Staff

National Honor Society

“This year, [NHS officers] have began to further communication of information for all members since previous years have experienced lapses in participation due to people simply not knowing what was going on. Along with that, we hope for increased member participation in service projects. I wish for our organization to continue to be of value for students, teachers, and the school alike with our pillars (scholarship, service, leadership, characters) upheld by all of our members. Simply put, I plan to carry on the great tradition of NHS qualities for our chapter.” -River Tomlinson, NHS President

Band

“We had band camp and two a days for much of the end of summer with only one weekday off to try to prepare our contest music and to prepare for football games. Our students have worked hard to catch up after not playing for the summer to perfect their technique. Our band is so high quality that we always hope to show improvement year to year. For the first time in years, we will be competing in the National Association of Military Marching Band competition in addition to UIL Marching. The student leadership at Whitehouse is some of the best I’ve seen.” – Mr. Mensch, Whitehouse band director

Drill Team

“Our officers went to officer camp and helped to learn how to lead the team and be the best possible role models to their team can be. They’ve learned four football routines and one homecoming pep rally routine recently, and we are very excited to show the community. We hope to help our girls to become the best versions of themselves through their participation in drill team in ways that high school alone can’t show them. Additionally, we hope to continue to emulate what we have always shown and continue in the same path.” Mrs. Norman, Whitehouse drill team advisor

“Our social officers also learned several other ways to motivate our team over the summer at social officer camp.” – Mrs. Vanbuskirk, Whitehouse drill team advisor

UIL Academics

“Last year, we managed to get five students to state, and our hope is to bring the returning students back with the intent to win. However, our aim is always to have our students learn more about their particular subject and more students to make their way higher through the levels of competition.” – Mr. Baty, UIL Academic Coordinator and Science Coach

FFA

“This summer, our offficer team went to a leadership retreat to help to prepare for the upcoming year and to become closer as a team. We also planned a Back to School bash to help us “slide into the new year.” This year we want to put an emphasis on the statement: “Open the door to your legacy.” With this mission statement, we will go farther than before and leave our mark to show the world that even the young can make an impact.” – Leslie Hargis, FFA Vice President

Theatre

“Our goal for the Wildcat Theatre Company is always to entertain.  This year’s season of plays includes time honored classics as well as newer selections. With live theatre, every actor and every technician works to do their very best possible show at each and every performance.  With every performance, we want the relationships between characters to be stronger, cleaner and tighter than the show before.” – Mrs. Grote, Wildcat Theatre Company director

Publications

“Posting everyday to the newspaper website is a goal of myself and the newspaper staff this year. Additionally, newspaper and yearbook both hope to capture the year to the best of their ability, producing the best product possible for the students of Whitehouse.” – Mrs. Dyer, Publications advisor