The Paw Prints Online

We’re Not Stories, We’re Legacies

Taken by courtesy photo: moviefone.com

Imahn McAlister, Staff Writer

The addiction came with the thrilling eight season teen drama “The Vampire Diaries.” The five season spin-off series, “The Originals”, left us just as breathless and wanting more. Even though the Mikaelsons won’t be returning for a sixth season, their story is far from over.

The CW Network has chosen to continue the stories of “The Vampire Diaries” and “The Originals” through the new teen drama, “Legacies.” In the hit show, “The Originals,” we were introduced to the Salvatore Boarding School for gifted youngsters. This school was founded by Caroline Forbes (Candice King) and is ran by Alaric Saltzman (Matthew Davis). They built this school not only to protect and nurture their own daughters, Josie and Lizzie Saltzman, but also to help other kids in the supernatural world. After the trauma of losing her family, Hope Mikaelson (Danielle Russell) has come back to the school that has been a safe haven for her since her difficult childhood, but that safe haven is now in jeopardy along with the existence of the supernatural world.

This show is much like the series it was based off of. There is danger, excitement, mystery, and a little romance here and there, but what else can you expect from a Vampire Diaries spin-off? This story  not only has the allure of paranormal but incorporates the struggles of life.

Lizzie, a beautiful, witty young girl struggles with body image issues and low self esteem even though she portrays herself as confident and put together and has magical outbursts that she can’t seem to control. Many teenagers can relate to this if you remove the witch aspect of Lizzie.

Joise, the twin sister of Lizzie, seems to be the complete opposite. Josie is not just a witch; she’s a teenager who alway seems to fall into the shadow of her twin which makes her easier to write off, but don’t discredit her just yet. She’s shy, reserved, and doesn’t have the same outbursts that her sister Lizzie does, but that doesn’t mean that she doesn’t have her own demons. Josie is constantly battling the darkness inside her, wanting to be a good person. But sometimes that darkness is too much to control, as we see when she lights her ex on fire. Josie symbolize the constant fight that teenagers go through to figure out who they are.

And how could anyone forget about the impressive Hope Mikaelson, the daughter of the most feared supernatural creature in the world: Klaus Mikaelson? We would expect Hope to be like her mother Hayley Marshall (Phoebe Tonkin) since she raised Hope by herself, but, in truth, she is much like her father. Like Klaus, Hope struggles with her anger, and while she has Alaric and the school it’s not the same as having her family there to guide her as the should’ve been. She also feels an impending loneliness for being the only one of her kind, a tribrid: part werewolf, part vampire, part witch, a miracle. She has a bleak outlook on life, believing that everybody lies and that people will always leave.  Her fear of being hurt doesn’t just protect her from harm, but it also shields her from the joys of life.

As we’ve seen in the hit series that inspired this spin-off, nothing is set in stone. So that begs the question, will this new generation be the heroes in our stories? Or the villains?