The Paw Prints Online

Relieving Stress Through Preparedness

Relieving Stress Through Preparedness

Because Senior Elisabeth Eckles has chosen drill team as her endorsement, she practices for an upcoming performance.

Taken by Caity Gorbett

Taken by Caity Gorbett

Taken by Caity Gorbett

Elizabeth Freeman, Editor-In-Chief

High school can be stressful. The pressure of getting ready for college no longer waits till senior year. Instead, it starts before day one of freshman year when schedules are made. A big deciding factor of what extra-curricular classes a student takes is based on their chosen endorsement. Between all the classes and demands of the teachers, choosing an endorsement may not be in the forefront of every kid’s mind. However, each endorsement is to guide the student to their college major.

Endorsements should be chosen in junior high, because it will give them more time to discover what major they want to go into for college.

Most freshman students do not fully comprehend that endorsements are there to prepare them for college. If they choose an endorsement based off of what major they will choose in college, they can have some valuable experience under their belt and even earn certifications or college credit. For example, students who want to major in the medical field can choose an endorsement in that category to eventually earn a CNA or Pharmacy Tech certification by senior year. Without this experience in high school, they would have had to go through the same process in college, except it would cost more money.

Some think that high school students have plenty of time to explore different career paths by choosing their endorsement. In reality, they do not. Students are only given a week to change their schedules to take certain classes that their endorsement requires. After that week is over, it is challenging to change a schedule when all the core classes have already been set in stone. It is because of this fact that the endorsement is not easily changed their freshman year because one would have to be taking classes that go under their endorsements. This can become problematic if someone decides later in the year that they want to change their extracurricular class. In addition, many programs require that a student starts introductory classes as a freshman. If a student does not have time to try things in junior high then they could miss out on participating in certain extracurricular programs. At least when they are in junior high, they would be able to get a head start in discovering if they like the endorsement. Students need to understand the importance of endorsements before they enter high school as a freshman since many endorsements, if not chosen as a freshman, can not be chosen at all. For example, culinary students start freshman year in introductory classes in order to have hands on experience before graduation. If chosen in junior high, students have enough time to change their endorsement by the time they are freshman.

Some say that having students choose an endorsement in junior high wouldn’t make any difference in the grand scheme of things. However, the more exposure students gain, the more they will understand it.

Endorsements should be chosen in junior high because the level of difficulty that exists in changing schedules make it hard to change endorsements later in the year.