The Paw Prints Online

The Arcana

The Arcana

Lelia Edmonson, Staff Writer

The Arcana is a Visual Novel type game that started out as a kickstarter and it officially came out in 2017, but it has been getting way more hype in the recent months. It was made by Nix Hydra, the creators of Egg Baby; and just like the aforementioned game they didn’t disappoint.

The game follows the life of a magician’s apprentice, three years after a devastating plague that affected the country of Vesuvia. The countess asked the apprentice to help her look for a murderer, and aid in proving his guilt. From here, depending on which of the three available routes you choose, you will go through an intriguing journey full of realization, mystery, and even companionship. The apprentice goes through changes throughout the game, their character developing along with the character whose route you choose. Although, the full story can only be fully unfolded if you go through all three routes. The three main characters all have different personalities and traits that make their routes fun and enjoyable to play through, the difference even makes itself known even in the beginning.

This game pushes the boundaries set by the games that came before it. Its not set to just a girl being sought after by a group of men. The apprentice can be whatever the player wants them to be, and there’s multiple routes and characters to choose from. The graphics are like other games in the visual novel category and the music is perfect for the setting of the game. All of the amazing composers worked hard to make each song unique and special. And they work well with the plots also.

The gameplay is easy, all you have to do is tap! You tap to further along the dialogue and actions, and even to make your own choices. Although, some routes have less chapters than others, the game is still amazing! However, the wait time between keys can be a bit frustrating if the last chapter you read had a cliffhanger. But that’s really all that’s bad about it. Another good thing is that there have been little to no glitches!

This is a game suitable for all ages and has had lots of work put into it to make it as fun as possible.