The Paw Prints Online

The DCEU’s tone problem

The DCEU’s tone problem

Carter De Los Santos, staff writer

Ever since Zack Snyder’s 2013 film Man Of Steel started the “DC Extended Universe”, it has been a downward spiral of failure, mediocrity, and jokes (at their expense of course). When it comes to the writing people have criticized them for having plots that make no sense and poorly written characters. I want to discuss one critical writing flaw with the DCU films and why it’s one of the reasons why this series is failing.        

The “DCEU”s lack of consistency with the tone has had a major hand with its failure to win over the hearts and wallets of many fans and so on. The creators do not know if they want to take it seriously or make it more light-hearted. A good example of this is Man Of Steel and their biggest box office bomb Justice League. They feel like they’re not connected in the slightest with the Man Of Steel being more serious and gritty, While the Justice League tries to be more light-hearted and grim at the same time only to be an incoherent mess. Making our series dark and gritty isn’t a bad thing, the film’s tone needs to stay consistent with the other films and within their own films as well.

Chris Nolan’s Batman series is a perfect example of keeping their series consistent tone wise. Like the DCU, it too has a dark and gritty tone, but what made Chris Nolan’s Batman films great was that didn’t feel the need to stop the film to tell a joke where it doesn’t need to be. There isn’t anything wrong with having a joke in a gritty movie it just needs to feel natural and not so out of place. For instance “Drax the Destroyer” from Guardians of the Galaxy (or Avengers: Infinity War to be exact), he has a lot of jokes, but not just there for comedy sake, the comedy helps convey his character in a natural and an ironic sort of way.

The “DC Extended Universe” tone consistency issue has made the entire series become an incoherent, critical, and financial bomb with only two successful films under their belt. Making their series dark and gritty isn’t bad, and neither is having a more light-hearted series with jokes. It just needs to be consistent and feel natural.