The Paw Prints Online

Miss Bala

Imahn McAlister, Staff writer

When drawn into the dangerous world of crime, you have to draw on your inner strength. ‘Miss Bala’ is a thriller film directed by Catherine Hardwicke based on the 2011 Mexican film of the same name. ‘Miss Bala’ follows a woman named Gloria Myer (Gina Rodriguez) who visits her friend Suzu (Cristina Rodlo) in Tijuana, Mexico when Suzu is kidnaped in a nightclub. When trying to find her, Gloria is kidnaped by the Mexican drug cartel. Gloria has to draw on her inner strength to save the people that she love.

Even though the acting was great, the movie did not really live up to the ‘action’ genre it was given. The action part of this movie was lacking to say the least considering there were maybe three or four really big action scenes. The whole movie could be described as a big soap fest. I understand that the writers are trying to portray a picture of struggle, but there was too much emotional struggles and not enough action for me.

When I heard that Gina Rodriguez would be playing the lead role in this movie I was skeptical but also intrigued. I was curious to see if Gina would be able to pull of the tough exterior that the movie required. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Gina played the part of Gloria perfectly.

Miss Bala had it’s bumps but I think it was a pretty great movie over all. I would give Miss Bala four out of five stars.