You Say, They Say

You Say, They Say

McKenzie Gray, Staff Writer

Don’t judge a book by its cover. It is a common phrase used in our everyday lives to keep ourselves from categorizing each other into boxes, and it’s even used more in the place where judging seems to be at an all-time high: high school, ironically. Judging often leads to stereotypes, an exaggerated idea of a person or thing, and new stereotypes of the grade levels are constantly popping up at the beginning of the year. 

The Freshmen

Usually the brunt of every joke by upperclassmen and their fellow underclassmen, the sophomores, freshmen often get a bad reputation for being extremely whiny, drama-prone, and oblivious to the “hierarchy” of the school thus receiving the nickname of fishy for their fish-out-of-water personality. Freshmen Luke Bundy, Kameron Cooksy, and Jaquan Crocker are the spokespeople for this juvenile but mighty class and hope that it’s no longer put in a bad light. 

How do you feel about the viral Tik Tok stereotype of freshmen being full of  “VSCO Girls” and “E-Boys and E-Girls” your grade often receives?

Bundy: Um, I mean VSCO Girls are pretty annoying if you ask me. But I gotta a lot of them in my classes. But E-Girls, on the other hand, I mean I like the style. I mess with it. But you know, it’s pretty funny.

Is the freshmen class full of drama like the other grades say?

Cooksey: Probably not. I wouldn’t say as much at least the classes I’m in because I’m in honors classes. More people seem to just be more focused on their work than whoever’s dating who. 

Is the stereotype true that freshmen are always in fights?

Crocker: Well, I mean, it’s depending on who the freshmen are well who we are. Otherwise, it’s pretty chill unless you’re on on-level; there’s where most of your drama gets. 

The Sophomores

They have recently shed the image of being freshmen this summer as they have matured and grown to face the new highs and lows of their second year of high school. They’re still underclassmen, but they have more acceptance among the ranks now. “Sophomore Squad” members Nevin Fields, Hannah Moore, and Britney Trimble believe the sophomores deserve more credibility when it comes to the stereotypes placed on their grade.

People often stereotype sophomores as notorious juulers? Do you agree? 

Fields: Look, yeah, there’s a lot of kids in our grade who juul, like you know we call the bathroom the “Juul Room”. I– I don’t juul, just let that be known. I don’t juul; my motto is actually, Juuling in Schuul is not cuul for fuuls. 

Is the stereotype true that you guys skip class constantly?

Moore: I mean I personally don’t; I know some people that do, but to me it’s important to be in class so that way you can learn and like actually get out of high school. 

Even though you were freshmen not that long ago, do you think the stereotype of sophomores trying to distance themselves from the freshmen is accurate? 

Trimble: See, I think that’s true because it’s not necessarily that I don’t like the freshmen, it’s just I’m not a freshmen anymore so when I see them I like– I don’t bully them, but I pick on them. So yeah, it’s true. 

The Juniors 

They are not yet adults, but they’re not children anymore– they are the juniors! Juniors are a rare breed around school, but you are sure to catch them around school with lots of coffee, assignments for their five AP classes, and music turned up. Juniors Erin Lamas, Isabella Sherwood, and Tristen Relles discuss how juniors don’t really care about what people think but strongly agree with them. 

Is the stereotype of juniors constantly being stressed true?

Lamas: Oh, absolutely true. No like, literally, at the start of this year I was like, “Well, I’m already having a mental breakdown like already thinking about it. It’s absolutely true. 

Do you believe the ‘Juniors are just Angry Seniors’ stereotype is accurate? 

Sherwood: No. Well, I think it’s just like the system. Everyone just kinda doesn’t want to be here because school’s not as enjoyable as it probably could be and along with that, we just kind of want to graduate at this point. Junior year is our most hardest year, as far as I can see because we’re taking the most AP classes our junior year. We’re just like really stressed all the time which causes us to be the most angry. 

You’ve grown up, and it’s almost time for college. Do you think the juniors missing freshmen and sophomore stereotype is correct? 

Relles: No, I don’t think they do. Not really. 

The Seniors

Why would they really care what anyone thinks when they are on their way out? It is the seniors! They do not get stereotypes; they make them. Seniors Casey Lewis, Brooke Florey, and Savannah Resler are the class’ representatives and admit that the seniors aren’t ashamed of their stereotypes.

Are seniors never at school like the stereotype says?

Lewis: I mean, I’m a senior, and I’ve been skipping school since freshman year. 

Are seniors really antisocial?

Ressler: No, not at all. They just know– I don’t know– they kind of mind their own business. 

Is saying the stereotype of seniors being ready for graduation but sad when it comes accurate? 

Florey: Uh, yes, I would say that’s very accurate. I feel like we’re all tired of being in school but once it comes around, we will realize we’re gonna have to get out in the real world and be responsible for ourselves, so that’s when it gets sad.