Q&A: New teachers

Carter De Los Santos, Staff Writer

With the new school year comes fresh faces as the high school welcomes 30 new teachers. Two of which are English teacher Caroline Marta and Spanish teacher Colby Reid.

Photo by Carter De Los Santos
English teacher Caroline Marta works at her desk

English teacher Caroline Marta; 

Q: “What made you decide to work at Whitehouse?”

A: “I did one semester of student teaching here and the teacher I taught with was awesome. She gave me lots of help and I just kind of always wanted to work at Whitehouse. I felt like it was the best school district in the area”  

Q: “What’s the best part about teaching high school students?”

A: “The best part of teaching high school students would probably be having an influence over their future. So really getting them ready for college and getting them ready to enter the workforce. I think that high school students are at a critical point in there life really trying to figure out who they are in the world, so I think it’s very rewarding to have that opportunity to be there for them.”

Q: “What do you like to do outside the classroom?”

A: “Outside the classroom I’m married, so I like spending time with my husband. We have two dogs, a cat, and we raise chickens. So we have a lot going on I enjoy a lot of outdoor activities as well as reading and writing that’s always been one of my hobbies.”

Photo by Carter De Los Santos
Spanish teacher Colby Reid poses with the “hang loose” hand sign in his classroom

Spanish teacher Colby Reid;

A: “Several things, I just got… well not just, but pretty recently I finished getting a Master’s degree for educational leadership and I was looking for some way to eventually make some transitions toward administrative work and there was also two positions for Spanish that my wife also teaches. And when those opened up Mr. McMichael let me know that they were having some positions, I used to work with him years ago in Jacksonville. So I was able to fill the position they needed and it’s kind of a hybrid thing so I teach Spanish in the morning, and in the afternoon I work as an administrator. It was kind of an odd fit, but it happened to work out very well here.”

A: “It’s a cool transition, I enjoyed high school in some ways, and in some ways I really hated it. I don’t like going to school necessarily even though I have like four degrees now, it’s just necessary sometimes depending on your career and I like working with this age group, young adults. Not that I can’t teach little kids, it’s not my preference, dealing with little kids issues I guess I like big kid issues, and I guess it’s easier to relate. And I like to get into things in my subjects that are more advanced personally, and it’s just my preference. When I can, I like to get deeper into it and not just stay on the service level.

Q: “What do you like to do outside the classroom.”

A: “I do lots of stuff I guess, I play music almost daily I play drums and guitar most days. I used to play other things, I used to play the saxophone and violin but I just can’t keep it up very well so I’m not really that adept anymore. I and my family play some video games and stuff on weekends, like to work in the yard, get regular exercise, we go to the gym. We also do a lot of martial arts together, we practice jiu-jitsu, judo, Muay-Tai, some kickboxing. So I like to follow a lot of MMA stuff. We go to church on Sundays, we stay pretty active, we like to watch movies and stuff like that, and I’ve always got hobbies going. One of my sons like knives and things so we started building knives on the back porch it’s been fun. And I study a lot of things, different languages obviously, sports medicine physiology, biochemistry, and things like that.”