Whitehouse Gets a TEA Score of 91

Whitehouse Gets a TEA Score of 91

Eli Cosper, Senior Editor

Whitehouse Independent School District (WISD) was given a quality of education score of 91 (an A) by the Texas Education Association (TEA) this August. The letter grade each Texas school receives is a combined result of a financial report, an accountability rating, and related results from the Texas Academic Performance Reports (TAPR). WISD’s most recent score is an improvement from last year’s 89.

“We encourage AP classes and Dual-Credit classes to increase our accountability score, as a certain point is given for every student who takes advanced classes,” Lead Counselor Theresa Gray said. “On the counselor side of things, not only will that help students in college, it also improves our TEA score for next year.”

AP and Dual-Credit classes are not the only major factor in deciding the score Whitehouse receives next August. Attendance plays a major role in improving the end result, according to Principal Josh Garred.

“As a principal, I would never ask our students to do things to help administration out. Sometimes, students can unintentionally do something to improve it, like scoring high on the SAT or taking a Dual-Credit English class,” Garred said. “The best way is by bringing attendance up. That’s a big area that, if we could bring our attendance up by one or one and a half percent, then that would help in various ways.”

Whitehouse High School made an individual score of 90, while the district’s middle school, Holloway, made an 83, an improvement from last year’s 81. Plans are in place to help Holloway’s score improve for next year.

“We have what we call TLCs in place, where teachers get together and common-plan what is needed for the students. This is to make sure that each student has an adequate and equal type of education.” Assistant Principal Travis Splinter said. “Additionally, we now have an extremely new curriculum in place, so that the middle school teachers don’t have to pull from all different places.”

However, a 91 is not a 100, a score 1,100 districts made this year on their report cards. According to Garred, Whitehouse will keep aiming upwards for a higher score each year.

“Last year, we had an 89, and we went up to a 91, which is an improvement, but I don’t know that we’re ever satisfied. We’re satisfied with growth, but we always want to get that hundred,” said Garred. “Sometimes, though, areas of the accountability contradict themselves, and we, as a district, have to remember that our priority is to let kids be successful. We care about that more than we would ever care about the A. Firstly, we need to grow.”