The Courtesy of Cleaning

Custodians speak out about

The Courtesy of Cleaning

Portrait of Eli Carrasco

Portrait of Eli Carrasco

Photo by Casey Lewis

Portrait of Eli Carrasco

Photo by Casey Lewis

Photo by Casey Lewis

Portrait of Eli Carrasco

Casey Lewis, Staff Writer

The spotless walls, the reflective floors, and the shining emblem when walking into a seemingly brand new school, only made possible by the people that many students forget to thank. This is the work of our custodians.

Custodians prepare for the school year all summer while kids are not in school. Most of the details go into the first few weeks before school starts as they prepare for the first day of school.

“We are here all summer, we do all the extensive cleaning during the school year when there are no school activities,” Custodial Supervisor Eli Carrasco said. “The best part of my job is to have people come to this 20-year-old school and think it’s brand new and a lot of it has to do with my custodians, they are serious about their job and think that it matters and that is a feather in our cap whenever we hear compliments.”

Custodians work all day during and outside school hours, cleaning and preparing for the start and end of each day 

“I grew up in a generation where you were taught to be proud of your job no matter what your job is the only way to be proud of it is to do your best at it,” Custodian Earnest Wilson said. “I think each person is doing the equivalent of a three-bedroom house 12 times a day. I get here at noon, and other than a couple of 15-minute break at lunchtime, I am going to about 8:30 in the afternoon”  

Students occasionally thank custodians for the work they do but appreciation is not the focus of every custodian in the school.

“I don’t do it for earthly appreciation, the only appreciation that matters is God’s,” Carrasco said. “There was a water bottle not too far from here that was kicked and thrown around and not one of them thought to pick it up. It’s about Courtesy. The courtesy to pick up even just a water bottle”