Behind the Curtail Call

Theater students talk about life in production company

Imahn McAlister, Staff Writer

Each of the theater students had a specific reason for joining. Whether it was a love for entertainment, or as a way of expressing themselves. These students dig in deep to give to the people of Whitehouse the best show they can.

“I have always loved theater,” senior Veronica O’neal said. “I started [acting] when I was younger and just kept up with it.”

With a lot of theater students being seniors the pressure is on for putting on an amazing production this year, especially with the absence of tech director Vernon Gote this year.

“Sadly, we are missing Mr. Grote, who is recovering from knee surgery,” senior Demi Leblanc said.

A lot of these students have jobs and other family obligations, yet they stay up late and squeeze in time to learn all their lines. On top of that, they have to keep up with their grades.

“It’s very nerve-wracking and emotional for me,” O’neal said. “Although, more opportunities have been given to me this year since it’s my last year.”

Nerves also play a factor we have to consider when discussing theater.  These students rehearse for over six hours on the weekends yet that doesn’t shake the before curtain jitters. Imagine having to perform in front of an auditorium full of people. 

“There is [a] time where my nerves kick in, especially right before a show,” LeBlanc said. “The struggle to overcome [my nerves] before every showing is the most difficult part [of theater] for me.”

Most of the juniors and seniors have jobs, other obligations, school work, and many other things going on in their lives. To add on top of it they need to rehearse and learn lines, most of these kids are drained yet they keep pushing forward.  

“I barely have the energy to do it every day,” O’neal said. “I could be in a funk or feel terrible,k but I remind myself the show must go on.”

Even with all of the stress that theater can bring, the senior students are excited to put on an amazing show. But for all the stressful parts of theater, there are the good parts. Like, the family these students have gained because of theater. The relationships these students build are a crucial part of theater. These students build a relationship that helps with chemistry on the stage. These students will forever be apart of the Whitehouse theater Family.

“These crazy people were my family going into freshman year and they [will] still be my family when I graduate,” LeBlanc said “They mean the world to me and I would [do] anything for my dramatic nerds. I love them and the Grote’s with all my heart. I have no idea where I would be without them and the former wildcat theater students that came before me.”