Student Council Thanksgiving Meals

Student Council Thanksgiving Meals

Kat Carlow, Staff Writer

Student Council will be hosting multiple events to provide low-income students with Thanksgiving meals. From November 4-22,a food drive will be set up to take specified donations. On the 25th and 26th, Stuco members will cook and prepare meals to be given to  students and their families on Thanksgiving day.

“I’ve been helping with this project since my freshman year and I’m excited to contribute again,” Student Council Treasurer Isabella Sherwood said.

The first two weeks of the food drive will be dedicated to non-perishable food items. During the last week, donations of perishable food will be accepted. 

“We will be posting a list of items on posters around the school.” Student Council Supervisor Randi Shaw said “We also have information on our website and social media accounts.” 

Each year, Brookshire’s usually donates turkeys, as well as providing a set budget that the Student Council members can use to buy items such as canned vegetables, potatoes, cranberry sauce, etc. 

“I appreciate that Brookshire’s donates because it does cost a lot of money,” said Sherwood. “Since Brookshire’s is located in Whitehouse, they’re contributing to helping out their community.”

All participating members of Student Council will get into groups of five to six and prepare meals in their homes.

“Each group is usually in charge of an entire family’s meals,” Shaw said. “They’ll all go to one person’s house and cook it, and then deliver it to me to give to the family.” 

The meals will be delivered to students and their families in the community who fall below the poverty line. Most of the homes do not have running water or electricity. 

“Even though we don’t know whose receiving the meals, we still get the satisfaction of helping our community,” Student Council President Reagan Hamill said.

Every year the Thanksgiving meals are a success. They have become an annual service project for Student Council members who are grateful to be involved each year. 

“Sometimes the families need an extra pick me up,” Shaw said. “They need something to show that people are out there that care for them, even if it’s just bringing a hot meal anonymously.”