Caged in the Jungle

Caged in the Jungle

Taken by Brooke Harding

Taken by Brooke Harding

Taken by Brooke Harding

Katrina Christine, Staff Reporter

The Jungle is a group of the student body that rallies together to support our school and players. They bring excitement and pep to school functions and encourage not only the players, but also the crowd. They have been known to bring certain items like baby powder, flour, silly string, etc.to football games. Unfortunately, some of the traditions were getting to be a little too much.

Since the incoming of new superintendent Dr. Christopher Moran, there have been a few changes to the school, games, and pep-rallies.  During the first week of school, before power hour, every student watched a series of videos explaining the changes.

“There was a meeting with a couple assistant principals, the athletic director, Westbrook, another police officer, and the fire marshall,” Drake said. “So there were a lot of people involved in this…we all had a big group discussion and said no, that it’s getting a little out of hand.”

The powder seemed to be the biggest change overall. It just created a big mess for people to clean up, and if the wind was blowing then other people got covered. The jungle is still able to have fun and show school spirit but the powder had to go.

“I understand why we’re limited on things but it kind of puts seniors in a box, and we can’t really show out as much as we would like,” senior Tim Fields said.

There were also chants that students were saying at games that, according to the administration, did not represent respectable things and instances where students were saying negative things about the other team.

“We’re not going to talk about an individual player or individual team… you can boo, you can yell, but you can’t say certain specific things to an individual.” Drake said.

The student section can be loud and proud but the administration feels that they needn’t be rude to other teams.

“Whitehouse has a good reputation of students being positive and students being great leaders we want that to stay,” Drake said.