Luke Smith: Family Matters

Luke Smith: Family Matters

Photo by Will Clark

Photo by Will Clark

Photo by Will Clark

Alesha Acton, Staff Reporter

Freshman Luke Smith is one of many who has adopted siblings. Living at home with all of his siblings, except his two older brothers, sounds like chaos, but to him it is a completely normal lifestyle. Luke has a total of 11 siblings. He is one of the 4 who are biologically related, the rest are adopted.

In 2004, the Smith’s adopted for the first time. Having a strong connection with God, they felt as if  “God is telling us to save his children” noted by freshmen Luke Smith. They wanted to better the lives of these children and give them a forever family.

“Life at home is loud, but I’m use to it,” Smith said. Back to school shopping can be a crazy time for the Smith’s. The family has to buy loads and loads of school supplies and clothes for school. Getting ready for school in the mornings is tough too, because they all have to share the house.

Although his family travels a lot, Smith has only been on one trip to meet his brother for the first time. He describes the experience as “very emotional, but a good kind of emotional” says freshman Luke Smith, “It’s the best feeling in the world”. Luke gets the opportunity to have close relationships with his adopted siblings and make a great impact on their lives.

The family continues to make a positive impact on these children’s lives today. Smith’s family doesn’t let diversity stop them from being a happy family and having a strong bond. They love each other as if they were all blood related. The family makes each other feel loved and cared for. The Smith’s encourage everyone to adopt if they have the finances and stability.