Following the Future

Some quick tips for focusing on the future

McKenna Mirsky, Staff Reporter

One of the most difficult decisions for high school students is deciding what career to pursue. For those who are struggling to select a career, here’s some advice that could guide you to a better future!

To people who already know what job they want, it’s best to take as many classes related to the desired occupation as possible. Doing this will give you a better idea of what to expect and help you decide if this is really the profession you want to follow. If there aren’t many elective options for your job of choice, don’t panic. If you have the opportunity to attend college, they will offer more choices in electives and give a better depth of the material.

Another important thing to know is to never make hasty choices when selecting a career. For a lot of individuals, school and society often pressures them to decide what job they want as soon as possible. However, there’s no need to quickly select a profession, there’s plenty of time and opportunities to decide what to do. There are even people who have graduated, and they still haven’t figured out what they want their future career to be.

Lastly, it’s important to remember that you don’t have to choose a career from other people’s influences. For instance, if someone such as a parent or counselor is implying you to pursue a specific career or give up on pursuing the one you’re interested in, there’s no need to give into the pressure. While it may be easier to let others decide your future for you, it isn’t always the best to rely on others for all the answers. In life, everyone will eventually need to be able to make difficult decisions for themselves, and choosing a career is one of them. The best way to decide what job you want is to discover your skills and passions, because in the end, it’s best to do something that makes you happy.