Follow Up: Whitehouse v. Kennedale

Follow Up: Whitehouse v. Kennedale

Taken by Ara Manalac

Taken by Ara Manalac

Taken by Ara Manalac

Katie Henderson, Social Editor & Website Manager

It’s homecoming night.

The stands are lined up with students covered in maroon, mums, and anticipation. Meanwhile, the field is lined up with two teams, one who plans on making their homecoming a win for more than just the king and queen. Sweat drips down their faces, adrenaline runs through their veins, and their eyes lock on the opposing team.

Whitehouse receives the starting ball.

Even though starting quarterback, Tanner Roach, sat out for the previous win at Sulphur Springs after an injury from the Carthage game, he came back with the rest of the team at home with nothing but absolute preparation and determination to win.

“I think we played well as a team! They were a good opponent but we knew if we played to our full potential, we could come out on top,” Roach said. “No one expects us to do anything, but I think we can make a run in the playoffs!”

Roach threw a pair of touchdowns to both Zach Parker and Fiver Trimble that went for 62 yards giving Whitehouse a 21-7 lead with 5:49 left in the first half. Not only that, but kick-returner Kaleb Ford-Dement returned a kick-off for 100 yards in the first half, followed by a pair of field goals at a 41-yarder from kicker Eddie Godina to cap the game. According to the boys though, this is only some of the potential they hold in store.

“We still haven’t hit our full stride on either side of the ball and along with getting back some key players, we will make a deep run in the playoff.” Dement said. “I can see us going really far in the playoffs.” Godina said.

The game ended with Whitehouse leading 34-21 in Wildcat Stadium after the ball was punted to Kennedale who took over on their own 22 and 2:58 left in the game. A win for homecoming night has left the team incredibly excited and hopeful for this season’s future.

“I see the team going as far as we let ourselves go. We will make playoffs and how deep we go depends on how hard we work and play together as a team.” Running back/linebacker Braylon Shackleford said. “I think the game was very exciting and it was a good game to prepare us for our upcoming opponents in district, as well as a good game to show the fans this team here means business.”

The Whitehouse Wildcats now sit at a 4-1 stance, and will be playing the Ennis Lions at Ennis, TX on October 7.