Makenzie Santschi: A Brighter Future

Makenzie Santschi: A Brighter Future

Taken by Timia Cobb

Taken by Timia Cobb

Taken by Timia Cobb

Timia Cobb, Staff Reporter

Senior Makenzie Santschi took the PSAT test last October and is now qualified as a semifinalist for the National Merit Scholarship Program (NMSP). According to nationalmerit.org, only one-third of 50,000 commended students make it to be a semifinalist in NMSP.

“When I took the test I honestly just looked at the timing and didn’t really study,” Santschi said. Without studying and sticking to a timed pace Santschi made a high enough score to be one of the semifinalist .

Out of the all 50 states, only 16,000 students are granted a semifinalist spot. It is tough to earn a semifinalist spot because you have to get a score of 1400 out of 1520, based on the new scoring scale by prepscholar.com. To get a score that high you would have to get a least 30 answers right out of 40 to 47 questions.

Taking the test can be the hard part but getting your test results and finding out you’re a semifinalist can be nerve-racking. “I took my test and got my results in September,” Santschi said. “I didn’t expect to be a semifinalist but I really hoped I would be.”

Santschi’s goal is to attend Duke university in North Carolina. She knows how well winning this achievement can help her get into Duke.

“I think winning the National merit scholarship can benefit my future,” Santschi said. “It really catches colleges attention, helps you more with scholarships and makes college applications look well grounded.”

Overall, she is thankful to have a chance to win this achievement and hopes to get a scholarship so her parents won’t have to support her financially through college.

“I would be super excited to win a scholarship,” Santschi said. “It would help my family a lot with paying for school because college does cost a lot. Receiving this chance makes me feel honored.”