Josh Tomlin: A Hometown Hero

Josh Tomlin in 2003 and the present (Photos courtesy of the Wildcat Yearbook and wikimedia.com)

Will Clark, Editor-in-Chief

Editor’s Note: We have fixed Tomlin’s graduation year to 2003 from 2006. We apologize for this typo.

The World Series is now underway! The Chicago Cubs face the Cleveland Indians in the fight for the Commissioner’s Trophy. Game 3 of the World Series is on Friday, and Whitehouse High School graduate Josh Tomlin will be pitching for the Indians. Many are considering him to be quite a hometown hero.

Tomlin graduated in 2003, and played on the Wildcat Football and Baseball teams.

As a coach you appreciate people who work hard during practice, but at the same time enjoy doing what they do,” Coach Andrew Dolan said. “It makes this thankless job as coaches we do worthwhile: to see former students and players doing great things.”

After graduating, Tomlin attended Angelina College and Texas Tech. In 2010, he debuted in the Major League Baseball organization with the Indians.

“I have followed Josh’s career from the moment he left Whitehouse. He had stops at Angelina College, Texas Tech, and every level of minor league baseball (A – AAA), and finally to the pros,” Coach Scott McFadden said. “In his Major League debut, Coach Dolan ordered the Yankee Network for one day, just so we could watch him pitch. It fills me with so much pride to be able to tell everyone of his accomplishments.”

Over the course of his career, Tomlin has had a Win-Loss record of 49-39, an earned run average of 4.58, and has pitched 457 strikeouts.

“Josh truly was one of the most gifted baseball players I have ever coached, and along with that, his character was top notch as well,” McFadden said. “I believe it is no accident he is where he is.”

Tomlin’s humble beginning at Whitehouse has defined the kind of person he is today.

“Josh is a very humble person; a team player who always put others before himself,” Dolan said. “I think I speak on behalf of all the coaches who all had a part during Josh’s time here; We are very proud of you. Just go out and get that win in Game 3 and finish with a World Series win!”