All Work And No Play?

All Work And No Play?

Junior Editor Ariel Orr ready to go to work (Courtesy Photo)

Ariel Orr, Junior Editor

7:42 a.m.-3:25 p.m.: School…4:00 p.m. -9:00 p.m.: Work…10:00 p.m.: Home.

This is an average day for a majority of high school students. Most days consist of school, work and not much else. The burning question is…should teens have a part time job while attending high school?

It is essential that high school students have a job during their high school years.

Having a job allows teens to save up money for college. Most students go straight to college after high school and a lot of parents are not going to pay for their child’s college in full. It is often said that teens are too immature to handle money. However, it gives them an opportunity to grow up and learn to manage their money before entering the cruel outside world.

Working teaches teens responsibility. Unlike high school, if you do not pull your weight, you get fired. This is a major wake up call for most teens who think they can get through life with little to no effort. Some parents fear their child may put their school responsibilities on the back burner. However, this is yet another opportunity for teens to grow by learning to juggle multiple responsibilities, which comes with adulthood.

Having a job gives a teen all around real life experience. They have to work closely with co-workers and customers, maintain stress level, and learn to deal with conflict associated with a work environment. Yes, one is exposed to these skills when going to school but having a job allows them to practice these skills in an actual intense workplace, rather than a classroom.

If your schedule does not allow time for a job, try to volunteer as much as possible so you do not miss out on valuable learning opportunities. Something as simple as shelving books at your local library can teach you more than you would expect.  

It may not be easy, but students should get a part time job in order to gain experience that will help pave the way to their future careers. It is better to have long days now than to have long stressful days out in the real world due to lack of time and effort put in as a teenager.