A Musical Legacy

A Musical Legacy

Band students celebrating after hearing their contest results

Photo by Samuel Hernandez

Photo by Samuel Hernandez

Photo by Samuel Hernandez

Nic McIntyre, Staff Reporter

On October 22, the Whitehouse Wildcat Band competed in the annual UIL Marching competition. The band made a one, which is a ‘superior’ rating (the highest possible rating). This year marks the band’s 27th consecutive one rating.

“I’m so happy that we managed to pull off something so amazing,” junior Chloe Powell said. “We have all put so much time and effort into this organization and it’s really showing.”

The band has been working on their contest drill since August 1st. This was freshman’s first contest as well as the seniors last.

“We’ve worked for them [Freshmen] and with them and tried to push them harder and tried to make them better people at the same time and I think has made them marchers as a whole,” said senior flute squad leader Maddy Brown. “I am confident in them, this is one of the best groups of freshmen that has come in and they have worked their butts off.”

It wasn’t only the freshmen’s first time marching with the Whitehouse band. Several students have transferred from other schools.

“Coming from a band with high expectations, it is nice to come to a band with equally high expectations,” first time Whitehouse marcher sophomore Libby Moran said. “I think of this band as a family as much as I do as the band from Brownsville. They have taken me in and have treated me really well.”

Everyone in the band agrees that they have worked hard and put a lot of effort into getting a one.

“It’s been an amazing experience, and I am so glad we could continue the tradition of getting a one,” junior Kelsey Darnell said.