Photo by Paige Dyer

Election Day: Vote, Vote, Vote!

November 8, 2016

Editor’s Note: The 14th, 15th, and 26th Amendments to the US Constitution deal with the right to vote for elected officials. If you are of age and have the ability to vote, the Paw Prints urges you to take advantage of that right.

Today is Election Day for 2016. For some people, it will be a long day, as they stay up hours into the night, eagerly tracking exit polls and electoral votes to be the first to hear the result. For others, it will be a short day, as they collapse into bed early, trying to avoid hearing the winner as long as possible.

The battle that has divided the nation for two years now ends today. If everything goes perfect, the new president should be announced tonight. In all likelihood, we won’t know until at least 5 AM tomorrow.

Whitehouse High School conducted their own Mock Election today. The results are as follows:

STUDENTS

91% of students voted

Trump: 764 votes/60.8%

Clinton: 200 votes/15.7%

Johnson: 104 votes/8.3%

Stein: 29 votes/2.3%

Other/Write-In: 162 votes/12.9%

Popular write-in candidates for students were Jesus, Brooke Godwin, Amber Patillo, Mr. Adam Brown, Mr. Douglas DuPree, Evan McMullin, Bernie Sanders, Mr. Jeff Overbay, Harambe, and Kanye West.

FACULTY

93% of faculty voted

Trump: 128 votes/88.3%

Clinton: 11 votes/7.6%

Johnson: 2 votes/1.4%

Stein: 0 votes/0.0%

Other/Write-In: 4 votes/2.8%

Popular write-in candidates for faculty were Rand Paul, Mr. Joe Williford, and Snoopy.

Smith County has many voting locations in Whitehouse, Tyler, Bullard, Arp, Flint, Winona, Troup, and Hideaway. In Whitehouse, you can vote at the Whitehouse Municipal Court, Mt. Carmel Baptist Church, and Hillcreek Baptist Church. For specific addresses and locations, you can visit https://www.smith-county.com/Government/Departments/Elections/CurrentElection.aspx

The poll closing times for each state are as follows:
(All of these times are in Central Time, and come from politico.com)

5 p.m. – Indiana, Kentucky

6 p.m. – Alabama, Florida, Georgia, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia

6:30 p.m. – North Carolina, Ohio, West Virginia

7 p.m. – Connecticut, Delaware, D.C., Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas

7:30 p.m. – Arkansas

8 p.m. – Arizona, Colorado, Louisiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, Wisconsin, Wyoming

9 p.m. – Idaho, Iowa, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah

10 p.m. – Alaska, California, Hawaii, Washington

We will update you with information using our Twitter (@WHSPawPrints) as to who wins each state. 109 students at WHS can vote in this election. If you can vote, go out and vote. It’ll be four years before you can again.